CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dancing with the Star .... umm Flakes

There a few other things I enjoy in this world besides soccer, cooking, and my family. When my family moved to my town 18 years ago, I saw an old snowboard in a thrift shop. I grew up in California and had never seen snow before and certainly never skied. I thought I would give snowboarding a shot. I convinced my parents to get me the board and long story short; it grew to be a passion and fairly time consuming throughout all of my high school and college years.

In anticipation of each coming season, my buddy and I, after drooling over the new Burton catalog, would anxiously await the first snowfall of the year. Not just because it meant the resorts would be open soon; it also meant that it was time for our sacrifice to the snow gods. That night, when the first snow fell, we'd strip down to our skivvies and run and slide through the snow for 10 minutes or so. This tradition became known as "The Snow Dance." Each year we did this, we were able to enjoy long and prosperous winters that included many, many (we're talking "going-on-academic-probation-many") trips to the mountains.

Life caught up to us, and eventually we were getting married, graduating, getting real jobs, having kids, and continuing education, and somehow the Snow Dance got lost in the shuffle (pun!). Coincidentally, our time spent on the mountain dramatically decreased (went downhill -- double pun!) as well. Some might blame the decrease on the "real life" factors mentioned previously, but there's a small part of me that thinks the snow gods are punishing us for our sins of omission. So to my buddy (you know who you are - and I don't think you read this anyway, but whatever) and to the rest of you, I say when the first real snow falls -- not this freakishly-early October junk-- we make our sacrifice in hopes of spending a little more time on the slopes this winter.

As a side note and caveat -- I will not be providing any free legal service should you happen to get picked up for indecent exposure. So be forewarned.

3 comments:

This is me said...

I think I need to post the picture of you guys doing a Snow Dance at BYU. Three pasty-white returned missionaries in their boxers and snow boots. They are now two doctors and a lawyer.

It blows my mind.

Emily (Redman) Jones said...

oh, i fondly recall the Snow Dance days (though I thankfully never witnessed the act)! and i especially remember the going-on-academic-probation piece...i suppose it helped that you were both class/student body officers! do you ever miss that time, even a little? i do.

Montana Mom said...

Don't get it -- never will. Just too much California in my blood. However, the gene seemed to have passed on. Two snowboarders and a skier who starts asking when it is going to snow in August. Just hope the need to "bare-all" in celebration sticks to your progeny.