CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 11, 2008

Food -- It's What's for Dinner


What is it about a meal that makes it good?

I mean, obviously the food has something to do with it, but there's got to be something more than that. I've been fortunate to eat at some really great restaurants, but the great meals I have eaten haven't always been at the fanciest places. The best sandwich in the world (in my humble opinion) comes from a place that would face certain condemnation if the health inspector ever came for a visit.

My last post got me thinking of this; one of the best meals I have eaten came from Les Halles in Washington D.C. There was nothing particularly fancy about this place and I ordered the classic Steak Frites. Maybe it was the awesome french waiter who looked utterly astounded when my daughter cleared her plate of Parisian Ham. Maybe it was just simple food, made really (REALLY!) well. Either way, the meal was great.

Sometimes its the food, sometimes its the company, sometimes its the occassion. Regardless, here is my list of my best five meals (in no particular order):

1. Les Halles -- Washington D.C. -- Steak Frites
2. Milletti's -- Park City, Utah -- Pork Medallions in a berry reduction (Sadly, Milleti's is no longer in business)
3. Prime Rib -- Washington D.C. -- Prime Rib*
4. Snake River Grill -- Hagerman, Idaho -- Stuffed Dover Sole
5. Cafe Asean -- NYC -- Lemongrass-Crusted Snapper

Honorable Mention: Nectar, Moscow, Idaho -- Pancetta-Wrapped Meatloaf


So, what was your favorite meal?


*Here's an eating out tip from me. If you go to a place that's named for a particular dish -- order that dish. You don't go to a place named Prime Rib and order a chicken cesaer salad; that's just wrong...and sad.

2 comments:

tonksfam said...

Best meal ever? Ahh, we never did have you guys over for dinner when we were in Moscow, did we? That's a shame. I can't think of any place I've eaten that beats Rob's cooking. Want to come to Montana?

Stewarts said...

Isn't it interesting that one of things we always miss most about a city when we leave it is the FOOD!

1. Many Sandwiches-Creekside Deli, Walnut Creek CA.
2. Asian Pear Salad-Streamers, Gilbert,AZ.
3. Giant potato with BBQ pork- Joe's BBQ, Gilbert,AZ.
4. Seasame Chicken- PeKing, TF,ID.
5. #1, Balckened Fish Taco with Spicy Cajun White Beans- Wahoo's, So. Cal.